We are pleased to announce that a new CloudLinux OS 8.5 is now available. CloudLinux 8.5 is the first CloudLinux version based on AlmaLinux repositories. All packages specific to CloudLinux are now provided by CLN and are unavailable in public repositories.
Rollout slot: 5
Rolled out to: 0.5%
ETA for 100% rollout: December 13
This new CloudLinux OS 8.5 release includes the following.
- CloudLinux now uses AlmaLinux repos for all unmodified packages from RHEL
- The kernel is updated to version 4.18.0-348.lve.el8.x86_64 to match RHEL 8.5
- LVE kernel module is updated to version 2.0-39.el8.x86_64
- The following new module streams were added:
- nginx 1.20
- Node.js 16
- Ruby 3.0
- Compiler updates:
- GCC Toolset 11
- LLVM Toolset 12.0.1
- Rust Toolset 1.54.0
- Go Toolset 1.16.7
- Updated components:
- PHP 7.4.19
- Squid 4.15
- Mutt 2.0.7
Please refer to the RHEL release notes for a full list of changes in this release.
We’ve started a gradual rollout of the updated cloudlinux-release package that brings necessary repo updates for 8.5.
Follow these steps to upgrade CloudLinux 8.4 to 8.5 manually:
- Install updated cloudlinux-release package.
# dnf install -y https://repo.cloudlinux.com/cloudlinux/8.5/cloudlinux-release-latest-8.rpm
- Make sure that the /etc/yum.repos.d/cloudlinux.repo file is successfully updated. Now it should contain only the mentioned repos:
If there are more repositories found, then you might have edited this file before. That means it wasn’t updated. Check if the /etc/yum.repos.d/cloudlinux.repo.rpmnew file is present and then rename it to /etc/yum.repos.d/cloudlinux.repo:
# mv /etc/yum.repos.d/cloudlinux.repo.rpmnew /etc/yum.repos.d/cloudlinux.repo
- Import AlmaLinux GPG key (or accept it later during the dnf update step)
# rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-AlmaLinux
- Clean dnf cache
# dnf clean all
- Make sure your system has a subscription to CLN and the cloudlinux-x86_64-server-8 channel is available and contains many packages.
# dnf repoquery --repo cloudlinux-x86_64-server-8
- Now, your system is ready for the update.
# dnf update
Review dnf output and accept the update.
CloudLinux 8.5 repos have fewer packages than previous CloudLinux 8.x releases because the 8.5 version is rebased to AlmaLinux, which is 1:1 RHEL or CentOS and doesn’t provide several devel and static packages. These packages are in devel repo now that is disabled by default. If needed, you can enable devel repo while installing packages, though it is not recommended to update from it or enable it permanently. Here is an example:
# dnf --enablerepo=devel install bash-devel
You are able to convert AlmaLinux/CentOS 8.5 to CloudLinux 8.5 using our cldeploy script.